Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Classics Club September Meme

I didn't participate in last month's meme because I'd already answered the question as part of my 30-Day Book Challenge (favorite classic) in July. But I'm all ready to participate in this month's topic - highlight another clubber's review on a classic from my own list that has me particularly excited to move it up the TBR.

I finally read my second Hardy novel, Far from the Madding Crowd. I looooooove that title. I've never exactly been a people person and as an introvert, I desperately need quiet alone time. The idea of being "far from the madding crowd" sounds quite pleasant to me. I'm pretty sure Hardy was an introvert and not overly fond of people either as he always makes horrible things happen to his characters. 
The most interesting thing about Hardy to me though is that he creates such vivid female characters who aren't villains. They don't always do the right thing, they get in trouble, and they seem real.

Via Sparks' Notes.

A good portion of her post was spoiler-induced, but it was carefully marked. I was able to read the beginning and the end of the review without spoiling anything for myself, and still managed to get ridiculously excited for this one. I've already read and loved Jude and Tess, so this should be a sure bet.

4 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read something by Hardy. I can't remember if I actually put anything by him on my list, but this one sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, it's Lindsey's (Sparks' Notes) review too that made me wanted to read Far from the Madding Crowd. Good choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Thomas Hardy! The Mayor of Casterbridge is actually the book that made the pursuit of literature "click" for me (I was already an English major, nearing graduation, when I read it for class - but it strengthened my own belief in doing what I was doing). I also read Far From the Madding Crowd this year and was happy to find that it wasn't just The Mayor of Casterbridge, but Thomas Hardy in general who I adored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Jude is one of my favorite books of all time.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...