Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn



Rating: 5 stars

Listen. I'm aware of the fact that my reviews are somewhat lacking because I never took journalism classes because I never had the interest - even though when people hear reader and writer they immediately think you must have been on the school newspaper. There's a difference. A major difference in all the genres, all the nuances of reading and writing. Journalism is not my shtick. My reviews vary from those I'm super proud of, to those that kind of suck. My main goal, in all of my reviews, is to get to the heart of Did I like it? and Will you like? quickly - for those of us that maybe don't want to spend an hour reading a blog post just for the answer to those two questions.

That being said - I'm not entirely sure where to start with Gone Girl. Yes, I liked it. Loved it, in fact. Gillian Flynn can write. And yes, I think you'll like it, too. Just be prepared for a mind-f*ck beyond any you've ever had before.

Meet Nick and Amy, the unreliable main characters of Gone Girl, who we learn - via Nick's opening narrative - are celebrating their fifth wedding anniversary on the ominously titled "Day of." Day of... what, you ask? The day that Amy disappears, leaving behind a curiously staged crime scene and a diary that, interspersed with Nick's chapters, gives an eerie description of their marriage, oftentimes contradicting what Nick has only just disclosed the previous chapter. And just when you think the book is a classic whodunit, it morphs into a study of character, so intricately woven and perfectly written, you really aren't sure what the hell just happened to you, but you're kind of glad it did.

Review with Spoilers via FullStop (has all the words I don't).
Via The Millions - a discussion on Gillian Flynn and the distinctions of sex, class and identity in her novels. 
Book Magnet's Spoiler Free Review

Purchase Now from Amazon 

2 comments:

  1. Well, journalism major or no, your reviews still are valuable to me as a quick reference when I'm looking for a book that I probably wouldn't have encountered otherwise. So you're conveying your message clearly and concisely enough from my point of view. And besides, have you seen what passes for legitimate journalism these days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reviews are like mine - quick and to the point! I like that a lot :-)

    My review for Gone Girl is fairly similar to yours. I liked it, but really didn't like Nick and Amy at all. My friends and I have enjoyed doing the "I worked this bit out before you" thing!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...